Tuesday, December 28, 2010

So, 41.

Do you ever have the sense that you have somehow lost track of your life? How did I go from being 21 to 41. I am not suggesting the intervening 20 years did not have its many ups and thankfully fewer lows, but still, how did this happen? How can I be 41 and feel no older than maybe 34? Incidentally, I loved my 30s.

But then again, I think of all the amazing things that have happened in the last 20 years. The release of Nelson Mandela. The first democratic elections - and the inauguration of Nelson Mandela as President - still one of the most exhilarating days of my life. The change in government. Me starting my first job at the Department of Health. Becoming an adult. Owning property. Owning, stuff. Making wonderful new friends. Keeping a few old friends from my University days. Travel (sadly, mostly for work). My first trip to Cape Town. Seeing a Black president in the USA. Seeing women rise to prominence in so many spheres of society.

There have also been the downs.

Losing my father. I miss him every day.
So many wars and natural disasters - made so real by the fact that the media is now so pervasive that I could sit in my parents' lounge and watch wars. But sadly the media has been largely absent from some of the wars conducted on my continent.
Drifting apart from good friends.
Losing so many people to violence, including my brother-in-law.

All in all though, I would have to say that the ups far outweigh the downs. Life has been good to me. I have a home, a job, good friends, and everything I need. Would I change anything? Sure. I would love to take a sabbatical from my life for a year, and just travel the world. Can I then take a moment to say to the travel industry: stop discriminating against single travellers.

Where would I go? Everywhere. I would go back to Cuba, and travel all of South America. Tibet. Cambodia. Thailand. Old Eastern Europe. Alaska.

I would finally learn Italian. It is a sacrilege that I cannot speak the language. And maybe learn another language. Something like Spanish.

Anyway, how did this start again? Oh yes, reflecting on being 41. Wondering how I got here. Glad that I did though.

I hope the next 20 will be as exciting. And maybe scientists will focus on the most important things - a permanent cure for grey hair. And permanent, painfree hair removal.

Oh yes, and world peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment