Friday, February 11, 2011

I left my heart in NYC

Okay, so I have not left yet, but I can tell you that it is going to be really hard to leave New York tomorrow. I have loved every second of being in this city. It is alive, and seriously, VERY COLD. As a South African living in Pretoria, we think 10 degrees Celsius is freezing. Well, let me tell you that the -4 degrees Celsius the past two days takes some getting used to. I have been inside for about an hour already, and I think my face is still frozen.

So, New York. It is so large, and crowded, that it is easy to feel completely dwarfed by this city. I guess this is why movie stars love living here - it is easy to be anonymous around here. I remember being in Mexico City and feeling completely overwhelmed by its size, in a way that felt like it was pressing down on my chest. This city has the exact opposite effect. As large as it is, it makes my feel elated. I think it probably has much to do with being surrounded by beautiful buildings. And then of course there is Central Park. Even covered in snow, and with bare trees, it has a distinct beauty about it.

So, what have I been up to? Took an uptown and downtown bus tour with Hitesh, visited the Clinton Foundation offices in Harlem, visited the Metropolitan Museum (sadly for a short time), had lots of great pizza, and then major highlight - saw a great Kandinsky exhibition at the Guggenheim Museum. Hitesh, Cheryl and I also saw a Broadway show last night - La Cage Aux Folles, with Kelsey Grammar in the lead. Let's just say that acting may be his forte, but singing sure is not. A fun time nonetheless.

Tomorrow I hope to visit the Museum of Natural History, and meet up with Amy. Then tomorrow it is back to Arlington for dinner with Gray, Marie and Bill - which is something I am REALLY looking forward to.

I will definitely come back - probably in Fall next time. I can imagine the city will be gorgeous then. So, I may be leaving soon, but I cannot wait to be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment