Monday, February 14, 2011

Oh happy day

This was a good day. I finally made it to the Air and Space Museum - and saw some beautiful photography, and I had sushi. Anyone who knows me well knowns that sushi makes me go to my happy place. But what made this day even better, was spending it with my friend Steve, who I have not spent time with in more than 3 years. When we worked together in South Africa, we would talk 3 times a day. It was wonderful to just spend time together, and just chat away like we did before.

Steve and I saw two movies at the museum, one about black holes, and the other about the place of Earth in the universe. Both had some amazing photography and of course CGI, but it really did provide that sense of amazing space, and the infinity of it all. Earth just being one of millions and millions of objects in the universe is really hard to conceptualise - and certainly is a good reminder of how insignificant we are. I am reminded about a TV programme many years ago called "Third rock from the Sun", and this certainly is an apt description - we are just one little pebble in an Everest mountain of pebbles. When also thinking about the trip to the Natural History Museum, and the exhibition on biodiversity, it also reminded me that we need to take better care of the planet. The interconnectedness of the continents, ecosystems, weather patterns - we are not islands, and decisions made in one place can affect someone half a world away.

Okay, I am getting of my high horse. I am now even annoying myself.

So, a little about my other happy day. Yesterday Bill and I took a drive to Annapolis, and it is a very quaint, lovely place. It was a little chilly, but I can imagine that in summer it must be a wonderful place to be. On the drive there we went past some beautiful homes on the water, and it must be an idyllic place to live. Bill and I checked out real estate prices in the area, and if I had $500,000 spare, I would definitely have an in.

So, now back "home" in Arlington. Tomorrow is my last day in DC. I have not yet decided what to do with my morning. I am having lunch with Bill and will pop into OGC to see other old friends. Maybe another museum or two.

Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment